Kerry Ballard and I are the 2016 W60 doubles champions in Barcelona, and we never had to take the court for a match!
- We entered 60 doubles
- We were put into the 55 doubles draw where we would have started in the quarters
- Next we were removed from the 55 draw and put into a 60 doubles RR with 2 Spanish teams
- We received a default from one team Wednesday
- Tonight after one of our opponents finished her 60 61 demolition of the #2 seed in 60 singles we were told we were receiving a default due to injury (which player was not specified)
- Therefore we won the 3-team round robin via two defaults!
- I play Carmen Perea, one half of the doubles team which gave us the walkover, in singles tomorrow
So Kerry and I both play singles finals tomorrow, and each of us has played only two matches all week!
Heide Orth beat Sue Kimball 75 62 tonight. Ross Persons took out the top seed in men’s 60 singles, then won amen’s doubles semis, all while his potential singles opponents were battling it out. He plays the defending champion, a Spanish player, who, like Ross was unseeded.
The Kimballs, Mos and Sue, are in the 65 mixed final tonight. (Updated: they won!)
I won my singles today 60 60. I played the same person 4 years ago and felt I played better this time. I am ready for a tough battle tomorrow with Carmen Perea, a former pro who reached the third round of the French at one time.
Congrats on your wins with the defaults, & hope you are psyched for the single’s finals. Welcome to the 85’s in Germantown where Jane Lutz & Price are double’s winners (no opponents) and then play each other in single’s with one other brave soul who has come to play on the grass in our age bracket😃🎶🎭💜❤️?!!
Yes Rita, in the 80+ it is tough to get a draw at the grass. But congratulations anyway on getting there and winning again!