Diane Barker won the 60s singles over Erin Boynton of Canada yesterday, winning 63 76 (3). What the score does not show though is that Barker led 4-1 in the second set before Boynton rallied with some great serves, returns and solid baseline play to lead 65, at which point Barker raised her game further to play a flawless game at 56 and a super tiebreak, scrambling to place lobs on the line (and that’s not easy when your opponent is 6 feet tall) and hit precise passing shots.
I lost to Fran Chandler 61 64 in a two hour match…Fran finished the match from 5-4 ad out with two lasers an inch from the line (one to the deuce side, one to the ad) and a perfect drop shot…too good. Susan Boyer placed 5th.
In the 80s, which was a five person round robin, the final match was a good one, between Frances Dickenson and Canada’s Inge Weber..Weber took the first set but Dickenson finished strongly, winning the third set 61, and the title.
- 30 Singles: Kristen Bleakley
- 30 Doubles: Bleakley/Vikki Dudley
- 40 Singles: Bryn Auld
- 40 Doubles: Tisha Kilburn/Eva Koksalova
- 50 Singles: Kilburn
- 50 Doubles: Dudley/Renee Broxson
- 60 Singles: Diane Barker
- 60 Doubles: Carolyn Nichols/Susan Wright
- 70 Singles: Judy Dixon
- 70 Doubles: Lil Peltz-Petow/Jan Kirkland
- 80 Singles: Frances Dickenson
- 80 Doubles: Roberta Dimond/Betsey Cheesman